MSW is the abbreviation for Master of Social Work. It is a master’s degree program that focuses on community service and health care. The MSW program is a two-year program. A bachelor’s degree from a recognized board or institution is required for admission to the MSW program.
Community Organization, Women and Child Development, Labor Welfare and Legislation, Communication and Counseling, and other topics are covered in the course curriculum. This course is open to anybody with attributes such as social and self-awareness, critical thinking, emotional concern for society, and good communication skills.
This article covers all you need to know about the MSW program, including eligibility, admissions, career opportunities, employment profiles, and the course’s breadth. To learn more about the MSW program in depth, read the entire article.
Table of contents
- What is a Master of Social Work (M.S.W)?
- Eligibility criteria of Master of Social Work (M.S.W)
- Entrance Exam of Master of Social Work (M.S.W)
- Course Curriculum of Master of Social Work (M.S.W)
- Masters in Master of Social Work (M.S.W)
- Top Jobs or Professions with Master of Social Work (M.S.W)
- Most Common FAQs
What is a Master of Social Work (M.S.W)?
A Master of Social Work is a two-year postgraduate degree in social work. This degree not only prepares students for a successful career, but it also benefits society by allowing them to work for the welfare of individuals and the community as a whole.
One of the most honorable professions in history is that of a social worker. They contribute to society and improve the community’s general functioning. Aspirants should keep in mind that this course requires a great deal of patience, hard effort, empathy, and selflessness. It is a giving career that entails ensuring that those around you smile.
Master of Social Work is a cost-effective degree that may be obtained for a charge ranging from Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 60,000 a year. The major MSW entrance exams include DSSW, AMU, Jamia Millia Islamia, TISS, and others. English, logic, and general awareness are included in these entry exams, which are followed by a group discussion and personal interview phase.
An aspirant with a master’s degree in social work can work as a child welfare social worker, a substance abuse counsellor, and other positions. Keep an eye out for details on eligibility, fees, top entry examinations, and average salaries.
Eligibility criteria of Master of Social Work (M.S.W)
Candidates applying for admission to the MSW program must meet the qualifying requirements set forth by the colleges. The following are the essential qualifying requirements for filling out an application form for admission to an MSW program:
- Bachelor’s degree in social work (BSW) from a recognized university with a minimum of 50% marks.
- A bachelor’s degree in social science, humanities, management, or any other field from a recognized university will also be accepted with a minimum of 50% marks.
- Candidates whose graduation results are still pending may apply for admission to the MSW program in 2021.
Entrance Exam of Master of Social Work (M.S.W)
Different exams are administered by schools and universities that offer the MSW program in order to admit candidates. In no college, there is an unique entrance exam for admission to the MSW program. Admission to the MSW program is based on a set of standard entrance exams. The following is a list of some frequent admission exams offered by universities that offer the MSW program:
- Delhi University Skill Assessment Test: This is a two-hour multiple-choice test administered by Delhi University’s Department of Social Work.
- Banaras Hindu University PET (BHU PET): BHU conducts the BHU PET exam for admission to different postgraduate degrees, including social work.
- TISS NET: TISS NET is an MCQ-based test including questions on general awareness, English proficiency, and other topics.
- Christ University Entrance Test: This MCQ-based test assesses students’ ability and logical reasoning abilities.
- MS University Written Exam: This exam is administered by MS University’s Faculty of Social Work for admission to its social work program.
Course Curriculum of Master of Social Work (M.S.W)
MSW curricula differ from one college to another, depending on the college’s curriculum. The following is a list of common subjects for the MSW course curriculum, organized by semester:
Topics outlined in the MSW Course Syllabus (Per semester):
|SL NO.||First Semester||Second Semester||Third Semester||Fourth Semester|
|1||History and Philosophy of Social Work||Social Exclusion and Inclusive Policy||Ideology and Ethics of Social Work||Social Work Administration|
|2||Social Problem and Social Development||Rehabilitation and Resettlement||Social Legislation and Labour Welfare||Corporate Social Responsibility|
|3||Social Work Research and Quantitative Analysis||Social Work Methods||Vulnerable Children and their Development||Tribal Anthropology and Social Work|
|4||Human Growth and Development||Visual Culture||Elective Course: Human Resource Development – I, Rural Development – I||Elective Course: Human Resource Development – II, Rural Development – II|
|5||Social Work Practicum – I: (Structured Experience Laboratory and Research Methodology Practical)||Social Work Practicum – III: (Concurrent fieldwork – Community Placement)||Social Work Practicum – V (Concurrent fieldwork – Agency Placement)||Poverty Reduction, Micro Finance and Micro Enterprises|
|6||Social Work Practicum – II: (Skill Development Assessment)||Social Work Practicum – IV: (Learning Social Work through Participatory Approach)||Social Work Practicum – VI (Micro Level Study on Social Exclusion)||Non – credit Course – I: Fundamental of Medical Social Work|
|7||Non – credit Course: IT in Social Sector||Non – credit Course – I: Community Intervention and Entrepreneurship Development||Non – credit Course: Disaster Preparedness and Management||Non – credit Course – II: Block Field Work Placement|
|8||Non – credit Optional Course – II: Summer Internship|
Masters in Master of Social Work (M.S.W)
The cost of a course will differ from one university to the next, depending on their standards. Here is the Top Countries in the World that teach Social Work Subjects and their Fees:-
|SL NO.||Countries||Fees in Dollar (Minimum)|
Top Jobs or Professions with Master of Social Work (M.S.W)
After finishing the Master of Social Work program, individuals can apply for a variety of job positions. Many non-governmental organizations, multinational corporations, government agencies, educational institutions, and charity trusts employ MSW graduates.
Counseling Centers, Disaster Management, Education Sector, Health Industry & Hospitals, Child Rights Organizations, Human Rights Agencies, Mental Hospitals, Prisons, Management Companies, Old Age Homes, and other common job sectors after completing the MSW Course.
Following is a list of employment available after completing the MSW program:
- Project Coordinator: After completion of the MSW program, the position of project coordinator is available for the management of project data and cooperation with the entire project team for improved results. The average salary for a project coordinator is ₹3. 9 lakh per annum.
- Consultant: The primary function of a consultant in a nonprofit organization is to provide solutions and ideas for various circumstances. These abilities are honed during the fieldwork component of the MSW program. The average annual remuneration for a consultant is ₹3. 5 lac.
- Social Workers: Social workers are needed in a variety of socioeconomic organizations for the betterment of society and the elimination of social evils. The average annual remuneration for a consultant is ₹ 3.88 lakh.
- Social Counsellor: During the MSW program, candidates receive counselling instruction as well. The candidate for this position must be able to comprehend the mental state of the patients and give them practical answers. This position has a salary package of approximately 4. 2 lac per annum.
- Community Health Worker: These health workers are in charge of maintaining the society’s health and hygiene. This type of profile is sought by a non-profit organization that works on societal health issues. The average package offered to candidates in this profile is approximately INR 2. 39 lac per annum.
- Professor: A professor is an expert in the MSW program who gives lectures at educational institutions and does research in colleges and universities. The starting salary for this position is INR 4 lac per annum.
- Social Case Manager: After gaining the practical life experience at the MSW course field work, the students become capable of managing the real – life problems related to the socio – economic difficulties of the society. The packages available for this position start at INR 5 lac per annum.
- Program manager: This is the highest-ranking position in the organization, and it is available following completion of an MSW program at any institute or institution. In this profile, the average package is INR 4. 10 million dollars per year.
- Documentation Specialist: This role is responsible for overseeing and ensuring the accuracy of all papers pertaining to the program, project, and situations of socio-economic concerns. The average annual package for this position is INR 5 lac.